I don’t update a ton during the week unless I have something particular interesting to say. Even though everything I say is fascinating, I just don’t get around to it. BUT, I do update my little sidebar thingy on the right side of the blog several times a week (this tracks my calories burned and diet score). Just an FYI.
Since I’m already typing a post, I wanted to tell you all about my workout last night. Monday night I ran a bunch of errands after work and didn’t get home until after 8…so I really didn’t want to work out. Especially since TheBoyfriend was there. Did I mention we had Chinese takeout for dinner? Hmm. Anyway, I decided that I wouldn’t work out, with the condition I did a double dose of cardio last night. Which I did. And you know? It really wasn’t too horrible. I had a lot of DVR to catch up on…The Millionaire Matchmaker, 16 and Pregnant (speaking of, the chick last night? She was 17 and had been with her bf for ONE MONTH. Oh, and was preggo with TWINS. Yikes.), Little People Big World. More than enough to keep me occupied for 2+ hours.
And tonight? Tonight I have get to do the same freakin’ thing because tomorrow night is the season opener to the Reno Aces….so no working out + a hotdog (who can go to a baseball game and NOT have one? Not this girl!). The upside of these double workouts? I sleep like a baby (well, a good baby, not me as a baby, since I didn’t sleep through the night until I was 4.)
Well folks, have a great week!
Before I give you the results of this week’s weigh in, I wanted to say a few things.
- I was able to start working out again this week after 2 weeks of doing nothing.
- My elliptical workouts are now 60 minutes, in which I burn over 900 calories
- I did two “normal” workouts, and one “extended” workout. For the extended workout, I did a normal 60 minutes, then took a break for about 3o minutes, then got back on there for an additional 35 minutes. I was sort of thinking of it as my “last chance” workout, like what they do on the Biggest Loser.
- My diet was actually pretty good this week, EXCEPT the damn Easter candy. Ugh. At least Easter marks the end of a 7 month crap-fest (think about the candy and sweets related holidays between Halloween and Easter…).
Having said all this, I gained 2.6lbs this week. I think there are a couple of things going on here…I mean obviously the candy played a part, but I have a feeling the bigger issue was my body freaking out with the suddenly increased workouts (nothing for two weeks, then 3.5 hours worth of cardio in three consecutive days). I bet that if I were to weigh in tomorrow, my weight would be down.
So my strategy? Obviously STOP EATING THE CANDY. Ugh. Other than that, I’m going to shoot for 5 cardio sessions a week, 60 minutes each, with the exception of my Last Chance workout, which will have an extra 30 minutes or so. BUT, I’m going to do this workout on Wednesday, and then a normal workout on Thursday, the night before the weigh in. I think it will give my body and extra day to mellow.
I’m really not too concerned with this gain, and I have full faith that I’ll have a decent loss next week. Here’ to optimism!
Well, I did it; after a two week hiatus, I worked out last night. I was looking forward to it ALL day. And? It felt GREAT. My iFit workouts are up to an hour now, and I did the entire thing. I was a little worried going in, because a walk across the parking lot to Starbuck’s results in my hacking up a lung. I decided that for my first workout back, I should focus more on quantity than intensity- so I happily unfortunately had to ignore Jillian’s RPM suggestions. I kept it pretty constant the entire time, even when the resistance changed, and it was a pretty good pace. For comparison’s sake, I always get over 700 calories in 45 minutes; at the 45 minute mark this time, I was only up to 685 calories.
In light of my diet being particularly crappy lately AND the longer workouts, I am upping my weekly calorie goal. I figure, if I am burning 900+ calories a session, a weekly goal of 3,000 just isn’t high enough. I am going to raise it to 4,500 calories. This will mean I will need to hit the elliptical 5 times a week, which is what I want to do anyway. Goal, set.
Although my diet has been pretty sucky, I have been eating a lot less…mainly due to barely eating anything the week I was sick. So at least I have that going for me.
Side note: If you have a candy craving, buy Good & Plentys (BTW- now that I typed that? Seems like a really weird name.) I had some yesterday for breakfast (don’t judge) and was actually full all morning.
Well, the results are in…I was down a whopping .3 lbs this week. And yes, I’m happy. It means I kept off all of my sicky weight and still managed to lose a little bit, without a drop of exercise. My little virus decided to stick around and it wasn’t until yesterday that I finally felt a little better. I’m really getting antsy about not working out, so I’m hoping to give that a go fairly soon.
All of the girls had a pretty “eh” week on the weight loss front. This week’s winner lost .6lbs. Not that I’m knocking a 1/2 lb+ loss, it’s just obvious that it was a tough week all around.
Oh, almost forgot!! My little .3 lb loss? Puts me at the 5lb mark. So 5 lbs in 3 weeks? I’ll take it.
Hello to my faithful  readers. Sorry I’ve been an absentee blogger. Last Wednesday I got hit with the virus from H-E-DoubleHockeySticks…the exact same one that TheBoyfriend had the week before (and, according to my doc, has been going around quite a bit). I left work early on Wednesday (and by early, I mean after two hours in)…and was basically on my backside until Sunday. Aside from a trip to the doctor I didn’t even leave my house for four days. Exercise? Ha! Going up my stairs made my legs ache and got me totally out of breath. The good news? My diet was FABULOUS. You know, from a calorie intake perspective…not so much from a nutrition perspective. But whatev.
Upside? I weighed in this morning and I’m down 3.1 lbs. Yeah, I realize that I might gain some of that back, since that’s kinda what happens when you get sick. But Upside #2? My stomach is now all shrunken like one of those pigmy heads…evidenced by the 1/2 a serving of dinner I ate last night which made me totally full. So yay to that. OHOH and I won the weigh in this week. I think my goal for this week is to not regain any of my sicky weight loss.
I’m not sure about exercise and when I’ll give that a try again. If just being upright all day today doesn’t totally knock me out, I might try it tonight…something easy, like 20 minutes on the ol’ elliptical. We’ll see. Baby steps, people, baby steps.
Last night I hopped on my elliptical, totally not wanting to work out. I’ve had this cold thing coming on (yes, separate from the sinus infection I’ve had), likely the same thing TheBoyfriend has had. I’m not feeling great, but I’m not feeling too horrible, so I decided to make it fast- 10 minutes of cardio- just enough to warm up so I can do some weights and ab work. So I get on there, excited to see what my workout is for the day, only to discover that the workouts are now bumped up to 60 minutes. I basically ignored it since I only planned on being on there for a few minutes anyway.
But then a funny thing happened…
Have you ever REALLY not wanted to work out, and then once you start, you realize it’s not that bad? That was TOTALLY me. (Side note: I often feel the same way about brushing my teeth. It just seems like WAY too much effort. And then I do it and am glad I did. And yes, I brush my teeth. Weekly. Just kidding.) I will admit that it wasn’t the most intense workout ever; after all, I still did feel pretty icky. But I realized that I could do the entire 60 minutues…and that would be over 900 calories. Yay!
And then, right around 47 minutes in, I got a phone call from a local number I didn’t recognize; I ignored it. Then they called again, so I thought I should answer it….and it was……a freakin’ wrong number. Fine, whatev. Except that when I put my phone back down on the little elliptical shelf thingy I must have hit a button, and the machine reset. Which is why my calorie and time totals over in the sidebar are estimates.
Jillian, Jillian…just when I was getting all comfy with my 45 minute workouts, you go and bump it up. I’m pretty sure that if I were ever on the Biggest Loser you would make me cry. And I’m not talking one, glistening tear…I’m talking sobbing-uncontrollably-in-the-corner-of-the-gym. Hawt.
- Daylight Saving sucks. I’m already tired most of the time anyway, and now an entire hour of sleep is taken away? Ugh. Although, seeing everyone else look exhausted is somewhat entertaining.
- TheBoyfriend is an awesome motivator. For example, Friday night after work…I stopped at Subway on my way home, got home, ate the goods, and promptly fell asleep on my couch (watching Bridget Jones’ Diary 2). I woke up to TheBoyfriend calling me around 7:30ish. I told him about the morning’s weigh-ins, and how the winner had lost 10lbs. And I had lost 1.6lbs. He then asked me if I was going to work out, to which I said no…you know, seeing how I already had my PJs on, was super tired, and generally just didn’t want to. But he talked me into it. And it sucked, until I got about 3 minutes into my workout…and then I was SO happy I had done it.
- My diet was pretty good all weekend. Each day I did have a “bad” meal, but that was it; no snacks, no other crap, etc. Solid B effort. One thing about eating “real” food is it actually fills me up for a decent amount of time….I’m guessing I probably eat fewer calories over all than when I eat all “diet” food. I was even able to settle for a bite of TheBoyfriend’s ice cream on Saturday night, rather than having my own bowl.
- I made the mistake of Luckily, I thought of emailing information on an Adventure Race to TheBoyfriend. What is an adventure race? Think triathlon, but with kayaking, mountain biking, and orienteering/navigation/hiking. Basically, you are giving a topographic map and have to use a compass to find checkpoints. First team to find them all wins. This particular race is a 6 hour race, which means you have that much time to complete the course. The course consists of 8 miles of kayaking, 24 miles of mountain biking, and 5-8 miles of hiking…all while trying to get from point A to point B, using a map and compass. Aren’t you SO jealous? As a motivational tool, we bought our first piece of equipment for the race: these shoes. I am really excited about starting the training. TheBoyfriend is REALLY excited. As in he wants.to.start.right.now. Oh, and assuming all goes well? He wants to do a 24 hour race next year.
- Going back to the point about diets, above- I know I said my original plan was to avoid eating “white” stuff during the week. I may eventually do that, but right now, I am just concentrating on not eating crap. I’m sure when I lose more and I need to take more drastic measures to get weight loss I’ll switch to that, but for now, I’m just trying to be good. Example? I’ve been eating steel cut oats for breakfasts. They are super healthy AND filling. Yummm.
- I stepped on the scale this morning and was UP .6lbs. I know, that is nothing, but still it’s annoying. I’m going to really concentrate on my diet this week (as in all B+ and above) and also work out EVERY DAY. There, I said it…now I have to do it.